Strážovská 50 2023 (50km / 2500m+), Trenčianske Teplice, 13.5.2023

 Green May in beautiful Strážovské vrchy

This year, Strážovská 50 was again sold out in one hour, despite the fact that it was not the first race of the Slovak Ultra Trail series this season and it was not even the first spring race. The thirteenth of May promised all kinds of conditions, but Ľubka and Rado ordered dry weather and pleasant running temperatures. They also mentioned something about some mud, but fortunately, it didn't arrive in time and so we could enjoy a beautiful run through the nature of Strážovské vrchy undisturbed by anything.

Me and Majka start our usual, already well-rehearsed classics - arrival in Trenčianske Teplice on Friday evening, accommodation (this time it was Guest House Lívia - I recommend, lots of music for little money), high-carb dinner, beer, chat with fellow runners - so it could be summed up in 5F : Friyay, Food (this time we had pasta), Fun, Friends, Fast asleep. Finishing a race. So 6F 😁

 

In the morning, there's this usual greetings, meetings, chit-chats, good mood, pre-race atmosphere hyped by the barking of dogs who can't wait to set off for their 50 km adventure. At the stroke of eight o'clock we start and form a fat snake first, which undulates through the streets of Teplice until it winds into the forest, where it slowly slims down into a thin but long colorful snake crawling along the paths and trails of the spring May forest. The air is dry and cool, the sun peeks out here and there through translucent clouds and casts an occasional beam between the trees. I'm doing well today, nothing is bothering me, I don't have weather-sensitive glumness like last time. I'm looking forward to a good run. A promise of summer in the air, that it will finally arrive, can be felt in the air. In front of and behind me I can hear a happy chatter, birds trill merrily, there is peace and quiet everywhere, just a typical ultra-well-being.

 

The first 10 km to the first checkpoint behind Petrova Lehota went by quite quickly and comfortably. I'm looking forward to the genial black gold (Cola), I'm not hungry, but I'll have a bite of something to be sure - we have a 17 km long section waiting until the next checkpoint. On the way up to the ridge, compared to last year, the gnawed skeleton of a deer disappeared and lush vegetation grew. The colorful snake is already torn apart, groups of runners are rushing along the path and the trail that will lead us to Chata Baské. This is where it starts to get beautiful again.

We are greeted by rich green meadows full of dandelions and primroses, dotted with white flowering trees, according to information from Braňo Z., these were probably bird cherries. We run in and out of the woods and to more meadows, from which there are enchanting views of the densely forested surrounding hills resembling a wavy bushy carpet, and there somewhere in the distance behind them rises Vápeč, our today's highest peak.

On K2 Homoľka (27.km) it's been busy, the orange-black volunteer bees are buzzing, flying around us and trying to fulfill all our needs. Coke, water, sugar, salt, bread, cookie, sweet, salty, orange, banana, encouragement, laughter. Nothing else is needed for happiness - just to climb and descend the Vápeč I guess 😅 I enjoyed it last year, hopefully it won't disappoint me now either. It did not. A steep ascent through the forest à la Sidorovo, running along a forest path, swinging over a few humps and before I know it, I'm standing under the peak.

I relish the short, steep, nutritious, rocky ascent to the top, constantly repeating to myself that I must not forget the obligatory selfie - like SCP (self-check point). I didn't forget 😅

The views from the top are photo-worthy - all around, as far as the eye can see, dense undulating green carpets. And so I take pictures for a while (actually, I rest for a while, but let's pretend that I'm taking pictures... because as the classic says - "if you can't run, ... take pictures" 😁).

I don't really enjoy the short, steep, nutritious, rocky downhill back to Sedlo Palúch, but it has to be descended. The long, steep, nutritious, gravel downhill to Horná Poruba must also be descended. I progress slowly and carefully, getting overwhelmed by fear that I would slip on the small gravel and fly down the steep path, knock out my teeth, poke out my eye, break my knuckles... But my sneakers (Topo Athletic Ultraventure 3) are holding up perfectly, I should trust them more. And also to myself. May be some other time 😌.

Foto: Oliver Súkeník

Foto: Oliver Súkeník

There's a lot of fun at K3 Horná Poruba (35.km), and herewith I say hello to Jakub again 🙋 I'm catching up with Majka, who's feeling very bad today due to allergies - she can't breathe, but she cheers up everyone around the way only she can. We cram all sorts of goodies into our heads, fill up on water and set off to conquer the last 15 kilometers, which I remember from last year as endlessly endless.

From Vápeč we follow the red trail of "Slovak National Uprising Heroes". I imagine a SNUH pilgrim who has been traveling for the x-th day having covered hundreds of kilometers. I've only done 40 km and I'm getting a little tired in the head. I'll also stumble and kick my big toe nicely and to make sure it's really crashed, I'll kick it twice more 👿. How about a pilgrim? How does he manage to wring the motivation out of himself on this stretch to move forward? But I don't mean to be a hater here, it's actually a very nice part, look:



The meadows alternate with forests again, the kilometers pass quite quickly, a few short dark climbs take me out of my latent lethargy. Majka catches her second breath in the forest and leaves me behind. I'm going my own way, taking care not to stumble again or be misled by other event's ribbons. I am counting the kilometers and climbs, until in the end there is zero point zero point zero zero meters of elevation to be ascended and all that remains is to run along the green trail marker leading to Trenčianske Teplice. I try to sprint through the square full of people (which is our finish line) and in the traditional rush of endorphins I stop at the timer. I turn off the clock, turn on the finish line joy, go through the check of check points, hug and congratulate my fellow runners who have already arrived. Just a typical destination ultra classic 💓. We get our diplomas and let's eat and drink and sit and chat.

Foto: Tinka Magová

Foto: Tinka Magová


Foto: Tinka Magová


Thank you to the organizers, volunteers and running partners for another great day spent in a beautiful nature in the company of great people. I'm looking forward to the next run 💗 My ultra-galactic time of 7 hours 10 minutes was good enough for 14th place among 37 women and was 16 minutes better than my last year's. Better conditions on the route and better well-being in my head did their job 😀 so I consider the expedition a success.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malofatranská 100 2022 (112km / 7100m+), Terchová - Fačkovské sedlo, 2.7.2022

Letecká stovka 2024 (108km / 3600m+), Trenčín, 9.3.2024

Hriňovská 100 2022 (116 km / 4400m+), Hriňová, 10.9.2022